Hard Techno 2017 Hard Techno 2017

As SuperBastard mentioned, also digging the synthwave undertones; can see why you've got AliceMako down under "inspiration" :)

I like the more elaborate drumwork as compared to Retribution of the Insane. You didn't put this one under industrial like you did Retribution, but if you did (and otherwise I guess)... it'd be neat to experiment with some different ways to distort the drums for some gritty effects.

I like routing the non-kick drum sample channels to a single bus, and then apply effects there. You can also route them to a send channel to have some distortion going on there while still having the "clean" drums going into the master mix as well. Assuming FL studio, I think fruity blood overdrive (with x100 on), waveshaper, and fruity squeeze are all fun to experiment with, distortion-wise.

Rambling on about distortion aside, I'm not sure what to think about the melodic content of the track. I can hear you've had a lot of inspiration coming up with different melodies and backing riffs and whatnot, but I feel the track lacks somewhat in structure. There are buildups a few times, but they don't seem to lead to anything of higher energy. Not sure if I'm making sense at all.

For structure inspiration I like to listen to several tracks from different artists in the style I'm aiming at and make note of what elements they employ to get the tension going between key parts of the track, then sort of try to combine them into my own blend of things that work. Hope that helps at all.

Anyhow, good work. Make more. :-)

Levée En Masse Levée En Masse

Ooh, gnarly stuff, definitely differing a bunch from what I usually hear from you.

While that very varying bassy synth keeps my interest, I'd have loved some serious overcompression and destruction on that snare drum, just to add a good layer of noise to it.

Speaking of the drums, they main pattern stays pretty rigid throughout the piece, a momentary variation every few bars wouldn't be out of place. Perhaps a bit of stereo effect work wouldn't be out of place for them either.

That said, on a second listen it becomes clear the majority of the labour here has gone to that bassy synth; there's a lot detail to it, which I doubt I'd find the patience for.

I also do like the subtle one-shot background noises you've thrown in there (like that little evil laugh), and the reverby scream or whatever it is. Hard to pick good samples for that sort of stuff and then still use a good bit of moderation in how they should lay in the mix, so kudos for that.

As usual, you've maintain a good mix of classic instruments (piano and strings), which I always appreciate.

Keep at it. =)

MutualCore responds:

love ya babe.

[Knox]Under the Stars [Knox]Under the Stars

I like that very Waltz-y feel it immediately has to it. (oom-ta-ta).

What stands out immediately is the copious amounts of reverb. It sets an interesting atmosphere right at the start.

As other elements come into the song, I feel like this reverb might just be a little bit overkill. I'd keep it for a sort of interlude. You could create some interesting dynamics by making the backing track (which is what I consider the reverb-bathed stuff as) not a constant presence.

Enough about that; I like that layering of multiple instruments you've got going on, it works together well. Nice use of panning too, although I get the impression that the right end is more populated than the left (listening on headphones).

The ending was well executed too. No simple fading, but well done gradual elimination of instruments.

Good job, I liked it. :-)

Knoxius responds:

I was thinking about that reverb as I listened a little bit ago, and I now I intend to go back and drastically reduce it. Not sure why I thought that much reverb would be a good idea at the time :P

Heppeh Heppeh

I agree with what Kirbyfemur said, goofy and fun tracks are neat to make! It definitely sounds like you went out of your usual comfort zone in music (if you even have one) and experimented with some different sounds, with good results.

Very creative with introducing new sounds and making transitions, something I could be jealous of. I usually just do some automations on whatever I can come up with and then drop out or bring in new patterns.

Liking the bells, they really add to that happy atmosphere. I think the portamento and the slight detune here and there give it that 'goofy' feel, I like.

I think I'll have to check out some of VegetarianMeat's stuff now!

I really can't think of any negative remarks so I guess I'm forced to give you the full 5 stars. ;)

Things You Shouldn't Do Things You Shouldn't Do

This is pretty sweet

As I said in my response to your comment, this gave me a good laugh. I suppose inspiration can come from strange places.

For what it is, the tune is rather catchy, and kind of gives a sing-along feeling.
Other than the kind of 'thin' sound, which is probably due to your recording equipment, I really don't have much to say. Very nice little tune. :)

IzakFlashMan responds:

Ha, thanks man, if you didn't like it I would have had to put a bullet through the songs head. Lol
And yeah, I need to get myself some decent recording gear -_-

Significate Epitome Significate Epitome

Greatly enjoyable strange track,and yet accessible

Review on InvisibleObserver's "Significate Epitom"

As promised, here's a review for this ridiculously long and complex track of yours.

Even right at the start, I can that a lot of time and effort was put in getting things just the way wanted , the reversed guitar is a good example of that.

Hm. I have absolutely no idea where the song is going. In fact, you could say that the track has a life of its own, that's how unpredictable it is. The beast that Significate Epitome is is not afraid of any element to move its way forward in life. There are constantly different things happening, sometimes the energy is dropped and we go through a moment where everything is fragile, just a few little bells playing. Very neat.

I keep being amazed at how long completely new things are introduced. The track definitely varies a lot, but I think I've made that clear by now. I think the main "feel" of the song doesn't actually quite match its introduction (it's playing for the second time at this point). I suppose this is because writing the track was spread over a whole month, one goes through different emotional states, and thus causes different kinds of atmospheres in their music.

I am not too much of a fan of the synth introduced around 2:32. I think it's mostly its "shape", if you will, it's kind of rough on the ears in the current environment. I am, however, a fan of the little vocal-like sounds around 3:15, they give the impression of a human trying to imitate calls of some bird or something. The reverbing here sets a really neat atmosphere as well. I actually wish you wouldn't have introduced the drums again there, I feel like a ~2 minute piece of that reverb-y atmosphere would've been beautiful. It would've given the track another segment, rather than a little breakdown, to then go in in the same vein as it was.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not really saying it's repetitive, but I feel it would've benefited from having less drums. I can understand it's tempting to used accessible elements in the song, so more people would like it, hell, it might even be a subconscious thing. I suppose I just enjoy really strange IDM pieces a lot, mostly those pieces that pull away from the comfortable a lot. This song tends to go back to comfortable themes a lot (mostly in drum work and rhythmic elements), and I think it's just that what makes it slightly less interesting for me.

I think some of the breakdowns may be slightly too sudden, but that's probably just matter of taste. I'm eleven minutes in now, and I still notice how much work has been put in the little things one barely notices. I know from experience that said little things tend to take a lot of work for what they are, so that's definitely appreciated. All those little things together are what distinguish a great track from a mediocre track, after all.

I hear some synth work with LFOs on the filter cutoff, which hints at something common in dubstep. I feel this might be another subconscious attempt at bringing something accessible in the mix, but I may be mistaken.

When I get near then end (15 minutes in), I hear another lovely breakdown, one with less of the bells I've heard a lot throughout the song, and then they're back again. On the second listen, I get the idea that the amount of time these bells are used could be reduces just slightly. It may just be that listening to the track twice a row is overkill given its length, so that may be disregarded.

Now when I'm seventeen minutes in, all the various layers have very smoothly built back up, and created a lovely mix of just about everything I've heard in the song, all blended perfectly together. This may just be the most enjoyable part of the song for me.

Then it builds off again, and I am satisfied. There are often songs where you say "MORE" at the end, but this isn't one. I don't mean this in a bad way though, the song leaves me completely satisfied with what I heard, and I am glad I listened all the way through.

Keep up your great stuff man, you're very talented. I'm out because.. I no longer have any characters remaining.

InvisibleObserver responds:

Your words make me hot, like a fry pan to sausage.

Be my fry pan, and I'll be your sausage.

PdG - Enigma (WiP) PdG - Enigma (WiP)

I like where this is going

Very dark atmosphere at the start. I'm liking the use of bass in ambient, as it's mostly tricky to keep it "chill" enough with a lot of bass, I suppose.

I think the attack on that first pad could be a bit long, so it's more like zwwwhoooaa then bwoaa, if you know what I mean.

I would have kept the drums on a slightly lower volume. Maybe try varying them a little more, simply making your pattern longer will give you some room to play, and you can still keep it to one pattern then. Also, I find that bathing those drums in some reverb can give a wonderful touch to them in the genre. Just make sure to set the low cut high enough or it'll sound messy.

The thin arpeggio is a nice touch. Something to try for the full version is straying from the simple up-down pattern and switching some notes around, it might get you interesting results.

I can definitely hear this is still going somewhere.. bigger, which is part of its progressive nature. I'm curious to see where you'll be going with this. So far I definitely like it.

Keep it up sir!

Prodigal responds:

:D Thanks.

This is probably my most successful piece of work in the last couple of months, and I see it's payed off so far by experimenting all over the place. I'll try the things you suggested and hopefully the full version won't be overlooked like it is now. I could probably click on the song submitted right after mine and see a couple reviews on those, but not on mine :\

I'll be glad to link you when i'm finished with this.

=Ban On Mondays= =Ban On Mondays=

Bopping around

This track really gets one pretty pumped, with its fast pace.

It sort of gives me that impression of what happens when you've had a good weekend of sleeping and doing nothing particular, then oversleeping on Monday.
You're like "oh shit", get up and start your morning routine, but in a really rushy manner.

I hear a lot of creativity in little melodies, flying all over the place. Riffs everywhere, constantly changing, while still hanging together as a whole. I do like the complexity of it all.

Mostly I can actually form an idea of the layers of instruments in a song, but with this one that's pretty hard, with so much being meshed through each other.

I like the video-gamey feel at the start. Somehow you mix in other sounds that make it no longer sound that much like a video game, in a sudden, yet subtle way. Interesting.

On the first listen, I imagined it was going to be a loop, seeing as it keeps going right up until the end. But you still did end it right there, and it didn't even sound wrong; rather, it fit the established theme.

So yeah, good job on this. I've actually used to this to keep myself going with coding rather than getting distracted. It keeps you going with its energy.

And I'm rambling on randomly. Let's say that's enough. Keep up the good work Hades. :)

Hades responds:

I think it really does call that "overslept monday" feel you mentioned, not that oversleeping on mondays is always a problem in my view. :P

The riffs and melodies are something I really like to doodle with, and I guess that this song was no exception. And the layering was intentionally so over-saturated, I actually wanted it to end up with so many noises it was borderline irritating. Then I realized that would probably be seen as a bad thing, so I kinda scrapped it. XD

The video game-ish feel is because when I actually started working on it, it was intended to be something like that, but eventually it evolved into this. And I think I'm happy with it that way.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to review, man! ;)

Into The Eclipse Into The Eclipse

Thoroughly enjoyed

That was one beautiful piece of art.

I like the recording at the start, but I'm just curious; where did you record that? It sounds like some sort of hallway next to a machine room, somehow. It does sound great as an introduction to the smoother pads etcetera, although I don't really understand how these machine sounds fit in with the story behind the song. Nonetheless, it works.

I really appreciate your recording work here, you've nicely laid out the sounds in the stereo spectrum, and at some points even in another dimension-I got the feeling there were sounds behind me at times. Excellent re-verb work as well, it shows that you've spent time getting those effects set up properly, to achieve the right depth to your sounds. Either that, or you've actually recorded those in a space with that kind of re-verb qualities.

Anyway, the song gives of quite a peaceful feeling throughout the first 5 minutes, the person dying is lying at peace in a bed. Then at 5 minutes into the song, the theme darkens in a scary way. Everything works smoothly, yet somehow, everything gets dark, things pitch down, more raw sounding synthesizers come in (I hear a faint little saw in there), and it gives an overall scary, doomed feeling. You know the end is near.

Then the more bass-y sounds make way for a couple of lighter synthesizers, to indicate that the suffering is pretty much over, we can be at peace again, on the other side of the door. We've walked into the light, and all is, however quite sad, okay.

Here's where the breathing doesn't make too much sense to me, since the person has passed away, they shouldn't be breathing. Then again, it may be one sitting by the deathbed, who has felt what just happened, and is now breathing heavily partly in relief, for the now deceased person is no longer suffering; and partly in sadness, for they are no longer with them.

That about rounds it up. This is not quite a piece I'd like listening to when going to bad, given the story behind it. It does manage to inflict emotions in the listener very well, and I suppose they are the emotions you intended to inflict as well. That makes it a succeeded mission. Great job.

FatKidWitAJetPak responds:

I really do appreciate your extensive review! As I said in the authors comments, this song is about a man dying in its literal sense. It goes through a complex wave of emotions as he lies in bed, perhaps feeling his body lifting into the air as everything around him slows down to a peaceful harmony. Because he is dying, time around him does not make much sense. Therefore, the sounds that come in are not necessarily in time order. He breathes at the end because it is a sort of flashback in time of him breathing, as he closes his eyes for the final time. It is kind of hard to explain, but most of this song digs deep into the subconscious. However, the very ending is him simply staring into nothing, realizing that he is about to die after experiencing that last second of whatever he is experiencing.

Now that all that mumbo jumbo is out of the way, here is some technical information:

I played it all on my mac keyboard in garageband with hand crafted pads.
I recorded many sounds including the inside of a plane flying over arkansas, my fingers popping out of a bottle, me typing on my keyboard, breathing, and talking to people. i wanted it to be a sort of trippy experience with sounds that could be anything, but at the same time the sounds going on around this man as he is dying in his bed.

I mixed the reverb and stuff using a great VST for the mac called "Ambient" and "Kore Player" with the helpful audio units inside Garageband called "Reverb" and "Echo" for an extra dash of background.

Thanks again. :)

Sois Side Soldier v2 Sois Side Soldier v2

Terribly awesome or something

As Spikrodd mentioned, you have an incredible ability to make terrible sounding things awesome.

Since this is not a serious submissions, this is not a serious review either, or something.
SOIS SOIS SOIS SOIS

The laughing was so fantastic. I've said it and I'll say it again: Du(m)bstep is ideal for joke songs like this or Bjra's 'The room dubstep'.
This > Mine.